Windows 10 osd capture fails with "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware"

I'm trying to build a thick image for SCCM OSD with Windows 10 Enterprise x64.
I have tried two images so far, one with Win10 LTSB and one with build 1511.
Both have ended with a Hyper-V VM that will not run after the capture (I used an ISO of the capture media from SCCM 2012 R2 1511).
I get this error after the "Getting Devices Ready" section:
"Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware."
I found that if I run Sysprep (no SCCM capture) that it also fails.
I'm running OOBE and Generalize.

SOLUTION:  Don't connect to the domain while building the image and also be sure to delete all accounts and run as the local administrator.

Note: Our ERP system is complicated to install, so doing an automated build is not possible, so comments about me not using MDT or a Task Sequence do not apply.

Summary:
I have the following installed:
All the Windows 10 & Office 2016 updates up to 2/18/2016.
Office 2016 Pro
Adobe Acrobat DC Reader
My ERP system: Infor Visual Manufacturing
Firefox 44.0.1
Sophos Endpoint Protection
Accusoft Prism Plugin 10.3 from Boeing

My Plan is to create a snapshot and then Sysprep.  If it works, then revert and add another app and sysprep again.  Keep doing that until I hit the error.

Test 1: Installed Base Win10 Enterprise 1511 x64 on Hyper-V 2012 R2 with first round of updates. Enable local Administrator account.
Disconnect NIC on VM so that those stupid Modern apps don't update and block Sysprep.
See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2769827
Login as Administrator and delete account that was created during install.
Reboot, login, run sysprep
Result: Pass

Test 2:  Install Office 2016 and all updates for Office 2016.  Reboot, login, sysprep.
Result: Pass

Test 3:  Install Acrobat, Chrome, Firefox and Prism.  Reboot, login, sysprep.
Result: Pass

Test 4 :  Install ERP.  Reboot, login, sysprep.
Result: Pass

It seems that joining my other builds to our Domain might be to blame.
I wonder if Group Policy is causing any of this?
I also made sure to delete all accounts except for Administrator because they started updating as soon as I logged in and then that was blocking sysprep.
During my tests I did the complete build without joining to the domain.
I decided I could install Sophos using SCCM after the image is on the hardware.
Sophos has a KB article on preping the image, but I think I'll stick with using SCCM to install Sophos Antivirus as part of the task sequence.


Comments

Popular Posts