Boeing MBD data administrator

Well, I'm now the Boeing MBD (Model Based Definition) data administrator for Skills Inc (in addition to being the Sr. System Admin).
I have been working for the last few months on our methods and I will be posting some useful information here to help others who need to take on this.
Background: MBD is Boeing's way of handing off drawing responsibilities to the suppliers to "save money". Yea. Right.

I have created a InfoPath form that we use to write our logs to a Microsoft SQL2005 database per the Boeing MBD requirements outlined in our DPD (Digital Product Definition) Quality Assurance Plan.

I also wrote a Vb script that will fetch our MBD CAD (CATIA) files from Boeing for us.
This is what it does:

1. The script connects to our Boeing SNET (tdi) account and pulls down via FTP the pickup.log file that shows all files that they have for us. This doesn't actually show the file name, so I just glean the beginning of the name from the log and use a wildcard for the rest when I do a get with FTP. The script will only look at files that have a date stamp of the current day, so I run this script daily with Task Scheduler in XP or Vista.

2. Then the script uses the list of new files from today to pull down the actual files.

3. Next it takes that file and DeCrypts it using the GNU GPG command line (PGP).

4. Then the script does a directory listing and looks for .zip files to uncompress, then .gz and .tar files. It does this 3 times since they are often nested 2 or 3 deep.

5. While powerarchiver is unzipping the archives, the script is sleeping, so sometimes you will notice a delay. Then it deletes the archive when it's done so all you are left with is the uncompressed files.

6. Then it pops up the log file so you know something happend. This log also acts as a MBD required log for the download of the data from Boeing.

I will post the VB Script in the next posting and show some screenshots of my infopath log forms. If you would like a copy of the database and infopath form, just let me know!

Comments

DBronson said…
Hey Ed, are you still system administrator at skills? I hold that position at another Aerospace company here in the valley and stumbled across your blog and had some questions for you concerning the scrip. duckybronson@gmail.com

Popular Posts