Installing SLQ 2000 Reporting Services after XP SP2 will kill your PC!

I just found out that the SQL 2000 Reporting Services support files overwrite some critical files that XP Sp2 updated.
It replaced two system32 files dated 8/4/2004 with older ones dated 10/8/2003 and hosed my system.
After I rebooted it went into a loop of almost getting to the login screen, but then rebooting the machine. Crash!
READ: Unbootable.So if you install XP SP2 before RS, make sure you backup these files before you run the RS setup replace the files BEFORE a reboot.
I ran the install followed by RS Sp1 and then replaced the files and everything was fine.These are the files from the system32 directory:
msvcp60.dll
msvcrt.dll

All of this is on my workstation. If you install XP SP2 after RS you would be fine of course.. that is unless later you pop in the CD to install the test database!

FYI
I had to kill MSDTC in the process list before it would let me replace msvcp60.dll.

Comments

Popular Posts